Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Content with obscurity

Sometimes I read a verse in the Bible and find the wording so clever, especially the message version.

Today's top word in Word-obscurity.
Colossians 3:4 says to be content with obscurity, like Christ.

First I was like who's calling Jesus obscure? That's interesting. Then I was like oh wait they're asking me to be obscure and be happy about it.

Can you imagine if they changed the 80s sitcom Cheers theme song to "You wanna go where nobody knows your name?" If you're familiar with the song, you'll know that this does not sell the TV show at all because it is set in a bar where everyone is happy because everyone there knows their name.

This was my first Google answer to what obscurity means:
One meaning of obscurity is nobody knowing who you are, and another definition is something that is hard to understand because it's too complex or unclear. Obscurity is the opposite of fame, and living in obscurity means that nobody knows your name. (Vocabulary.com)

So Jesus is an enigma? Sounds about right because this is why I'm such a Bible study junkie. I love unravelling this mystery. We will never get the answers but we'll always be pointed in the right direction.


The direction Colossians 3 tells us to take involves us becoming new in Christ and by walking in this way we become almost invisible to the outside world. That's hard to swallow in a world where many of us want to be understood. However, when it comes down to it, all that matters is that you're following these directions and you could walk in the confidence that God understands and that's all you need on this narrow road. 

Only God knows and there are plenty of Christian songs about that to help you feel content about this mystery. Here's one by King and Country called "God only knows," https://youtu.be/Q5cPQg3oq-o.

I could continue down this rabbit trail but I'll end this blog right here with the verse that started it all and you can let it take you on a journey God designed for you.

"Your old life is dead. Your new life, which is your real life—even though invisible to spectators—is with Christ in God. He is your life. When Christ (your real life, remember) shows up again on this earth, you’ll show up, too—the real you, the glorious you. Meanwhile, be content with obscurity, like Christ." Colossians 3:3‭-‬4 MSG https://bible.com/bible/97/col.3.3-4.MSG

Hopefully my obscurity has helped me with this blog because maybe nobody will recognize, once again, I've allowed a long gap between postings but it has come to my attention lately I need to get back on it. It doesn't matter if they know my name, I just hope whoever finds it learns His name. 

Praying all receive His revelation. There are so many pieces of this mystery called life that can make sense in God's perspective if we allow it. Plug in to the Word and a community that will support you in your desire to learn more of Him and you'll discover more of you in the process. It's an amazing trip! The Holy Spirit has the best GPS.



No comments:

Post a Comment